EFFECTIVE ACADEMIC WRITING:
CHARTING YOUR PATH TO PUBLICATION
This one-hour seminar is designed for postdoctoral fellows and assistant professors who need to write productively while balancing the demands of research, teaching, and other commitments.
After introductions and a brief overview of each participant’s research agenda and current writing projects—as well as any challenges he or she may be encountering—the following topics are covered:
- How to make time, on a regular basis, for writing
- Online and print resources for the academic writer
- The three C’s of effective writing
- Common grammar, usage, and punctuation errors
- How to edit yourself using a simple four-step method
Participants are encouraged to ask questions about any aspect of the publication process—from first draft to reviewers’ comments—and will be encouraged to set writing goals for the coming month.
Technical requirements: Conference room, adequate acoustics, and access to Skype (for groups outside Central Virginia).
Group size: Maximum of 10 participants. Cost: $100.
For more information or to schedule a seminar, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (434) 260-2817.